Thursday, October 6, 2011

My take on the GQ interview

A new chapter is starting in Kristen's life.  This interview & photo spread is a marker in several ways.  I say this not because she let her guard down (more about that in a minute.) This interview was geared towards an audience who hasn't been too concerned with her career up to this point.   Her appearance in GQ can be viewed as when Kristen entered into the collective psyche of men fascinated by beautiful women.   This a bit of an exaggeration, but the event is significant.   She has steadily been gaining more admirers and this appearance is an acknowledgement that she is here now and aren't we glad to get a look at her.

I have always been an anomaly in that she got my attention 18 months ago.  She captured my attention in Twilight, but as with many other guys (including Rob), she sealed herself into my consciousness with her performance in "Into the Wild."   

Before I go into my analysis of the interview and the inevitable reactions, I want to comment on the pictures.  Never worked out before, huh? Until now.  She looks ripped.  Look at her arms.  Clearly Kristen has been getting lots of protein, sleep, and exercise.  She says it gives her more energy too.  Even if she doesn't keep this up, Kristen will continue to look amazing.  But she has added a new dimension to her visual appeal.

A small part of me is concerned that she regrets this little slip.  But I also think she knew this would happen eventually and she acknowledged that the effort in hiding was bothering her a bit.

I thought the interviewer did a good job.  He appears to have connected with her and seems to get what is and isn't important to Kristen.  He also seems to understand that she is a rare bird that some inflexible observers can't understand because she does not fit into the box labeled "21 year old female movie star."   Understandably he wasn't aware (in advance) the level of interest there would be in what he prompted her to reveal.  She made him aware and if she was pissed at first, she got over it quickly.  Most  people aren't up to speed on the intricacies and the intensity of the Twilight fandom and the level of obsession over her personal life.   Kristen's estimation of Nonsten at 50% is way too high.  I think the lunatic fringe is more like 15 to 20% but they make so much more noise.

What Kristen has been saying all along is still true.  Her personal life being made into news/entertainment is a pet peeve to her  Future interviewers are going to make the mistake of assuming that since the bottle was opened, that they can now ask her to compare/contrast Rob and Kristen to Edward and Bella.  I anticipate some awkward moments in the near future.

There will also be some people not so invested in Twilight who will not react positively to this interview.  Short sighted people think everyone is the same and that we all value a life at the center of attention.

I was shown this tweet last night.

"Just read the Kristen Stewart interview with GQ...I have never heard of a movie star complain so much about being successful".

 I am sure there are much harsher comments than this.  I don't want to see those comments if possible.

There is offering complaints and there is responding to questions.  I think Kristen has handled the fact that she never wanted this kind of fame very well.  She deals with a level of fame far beyond most celebrities.    The critics that say Kristen is ungrateful view the world with narrow glasses and they don't get that not everyone values the same things.  There allot of actors making a very good living who can go out everyday and live a pretty normal existence.

There were no complaints from her in that interview.  She is honest about the reality of the life she lives.   No one knew Twilight would make her one the most famous persons in the world.   She was honest about the adjustments she had to make.  She refuses to "play the game."  To those that can't see the value in her honesty and desire not to conform to the boxes... Well, I feel sorry for these people.   She raves about how much she loves the work she is doing.   She admits to being uncomfortable in interviews.  So what? These are things I love about her.

Kristen might be one the most famous introverts ever.  That personality trait is another reason I am drawn to her.  Most people draw energy from people and love being talked about.  That is why extroverts always want to be around lots of people.    For the introvert, energy is recharged when getting time off the radar with just yourself or very small groups.

Kristen is someone who hasn't gotten her ideal deck of cards. But I didn't hear one complaint in that interview. She has learned to accept things as they are.  It's her explanations, when read by someone who thinks all people want & value the same lifestyle, that the narrow minded will interpret as "complaints.".

I have probably speculated too much on this blog on what is going on in Kristen's head.  Usually after one of those speculations, I'll end up worrying that I could be WAY wrong.   But I alway state that it is just a speculation/opinion.   Then I decided to avoid talking about her personal life, though my opinions are on record.   I know that if I ever spoke to her and asked her if there was anything that bothered her about the blog, she would probably ask me to lay off the personal stuff.

As for what finally was verbally confirmed: it makes mr feel less guilty about a post I did last December in which I speculated heavily on what I think she thinks.  She sorta confirmed those speculations in GQ.  That post was titled "The existence of Nonsten at this point is absurd."  It had the most readers out of all of my posts.  

6 comments:

  1. Great post!! Kristen's honesty & unwillingness to fit or be put inside that Hollywood box is just one of the many reasons I'm a fan. She has been through so much in the last four years, but has handled it all very,very well. After all this time, she still amazes & inspires me every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont think that kristen is ungrateful. i like the fact that she is honest and hard working. i also respect the fact that she wants and tries to kee her personal life private.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for another great post of kristen.I love her honesty and she is really unique.hope and always pray that she can survive all this and continue to prove to the people who keep putting her down.I always fan of her no matter what and try to ignore all the nonnies coz it gives me headache.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh, you are the coolest fan boy I've ever 'seen'. I like (too much) what you write here. It's so good to read a male point of view about Kristen. I couldn't agree more with you
    Kristen say she is uncomfortable in interviews, it's one of the things I love about her too.She is UNIQUE, she is what she is, and NOT what 'people' want.
    AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST ~> "She sorta confirme those speculations in GQ. That post was titled "The existence of Nonsten at this point is absurd.""

    As Kristen herself said "It's so obvious" About her REAL relationship with her ENGLISH BOYFRIEND.
    For me It's been OBVIOUS SINCE 2009. :D

    XO FROM BRAZIL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super post once again! I agree the article was right on target as far as introducing her to a new audience - e.g., focusing on her talent & superior choice of serious roles, her parents' influence making her so grounded, her visual assets ("delicate, beautiful, refined features"), & her craving for privacy.

    The slip-up/disclosure that shook the internet was not really such a "scoop" that the writer can accept the journalistic kudos - IMHO, she had the forthrightness to NOT say "don't print that" after her off-hand "My Boyfriend is English" statement. She seems to always be truthful even if protective & guarded!

    I just hope she and Rob are not badgered excessively during the upcoming press-push for BD1. Why is it that the press feels they can ask anything & it's the actors that then appear to the public to be the bad guys if they choose not to answer?

    Anyway, Kristen looks more beautiful & confident than ever these days - in the fashion show & SWATH set photos as well as the glam magazine photos. Now we just need to see her on film - because she would simply say, "Hey, that's what I do...act."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just was going through my bookmarks and found your latest post! It would be lovely if all the new "fan guys" she will be getting, with her GQ exposure and her upcoming movies like OTR and SWATH, could follow your lead and do so in an intelligent and respectful way like you have always done. Thanks for being such a great fan guy!

    ReplyDelete